Join The Chicago Balboa Underground at our new monthly home- Lilstreet Loft! 4437 N Ravenswood
The second Wednesday of every month you’ll find Chicago’s best shuffle and slide in this amazingand creative venue. Lilstreet Loft offers bal-erific hardwood floors, climate control, plenty of free parking, lounge areas and perfect lighting for a perfect opportunity to dance the night away. There will be a beginner-friendly balboa lesson from 8-9 pm before the dance which is included with price of admission. Then, join us for three hours of bal-friendly djed music. The tempos will be bright, so bring your Swing and Lindy skills, and put them to the test. $7 includes the free lesson from 8pm-9pm with Nicolle and Desiree!
Next event: Wednesday, May 14 8pm-12am
Join the Northwestern Swing Dance Syndicate for another great 7 week session
Mondays April 7- May 19
LOCATIONS: Northwestern University
- Parkes Hall, room 122:
(All dates except for April 14th)
- Location for April 14: TBD
Parkes Hall (parking is available in the adjacent lot on the east side of the building):
CLASSES & TIMES
- Balboa from Zero: 6:45 – 7:45
- Beyond Basic Lindy Hop: 8:00 – 9:00
- Balboa from Zero: Balboa is a form of swing dancing that originated in the 1930s. It’s perfect for faster tempo music and can be incorporated into any of the Swing or Lindy Hop you already know. Not familiar with Balboa? Check out our Facebook page for some great clips!
- Beyond Basic Lindy Hop: This class will explore the elements, vocabulary, and variations of Lindy Hip. Class content will be tailored to participants experience and interests. ** You must be comfortable with basic Lindy Hop movement, including Swing-out, Circle and Swing-out from closed
- The one and only Nicolle Wood!
Register for the entire session and don’t miss out on a move…or drop in when you can!
- Drop In: $5 per class = $35
- One 7-class session = $30
- Both 7-class sessions = $50 ($10 discount)
For more info check out our Facebook page
…where ANYTHING GOES!
Join Chicago and guests from around the country to celebrate vintage Chicago music and dance in honor of the 15th anniversary of the very first “Lindy Exchange”, fondly remembered as “The Weekend”
For travel, location and schedule details: Click here
April 25th-27th, 2014
Ala carte pricing at the door: (cash only)
- Friday evening: $15 at the door
- Friday Late Night: $15 at the door
- Saturday evening: $30 at the door
- Saturday Late night: $10 at the door
Info on the Spring Balboa Workshops With Mikey and Kelly *(weekend workshop that includes the all access dance pass!)
This weekend will feature the very best of live Chicago entertainment all weekend long. We’re talking Swing, Hot Jazz, Blues, and all points in between.
As an added bonus, Hillary Marzec of Inside Chicago Walking Tours is offering discounted walking tours both Saturday and Sunday at noon, for folks interested in checking out the beauty that our city holds. Register here!
The weekend features:
- Evening:You have 2 great options to choose from: A very special Chicago Green Light Exchange evening at Bluetopia, 9pm-12am Chicago’s most established monthly Blues Dance, ~or~ The Sweethearts of the Midwest… The Fat Babies! with their traditional hot jazz tunes. Friday evening is located at Forteza Studio 4437 N Ravenswood.
- 7:30-12am Beginning Balboa Lesson at 8pm, band at 9pm $15 at the door
- 1-3pm: Dancing outdoors at Daley Plaza 50 W. Washington (open to all, and a great all ages event)
- Evening: Music to get your feet moving… The Jake Sanders Quintet. Jazz guitar virtuoso and company. Plus, the swing lover himself….Johnny Boyd and his sensational Swing Lovers Band. Swing, Jump Blues and all points between! The Saturday evening location is Chicago’s own magnificent South Shore Cultural Center, located at 7059 S. South Shore Drive
- 7:30pm-11:30pm $30 at the door
- Late night: An all star jam lead by Jake Sanders, featuring the best that Chicago has to offer, and special guests to keep things jumping! Lillstreet Loft, 4437 N Ravenswood, up the stairs on the right.
- 1:00am-4:30am $10 at the door
Check out the details about the Bally Hoo! at the Chicago Cultural Center!
For travel, location and schedule details: Click here
About the event:The Bally Hoo! was conceived of, directed and produced by Nicolle Wood, as one of her very first large scale innovations as Entertainment Director at Untitled Supperclub, in the summer of 2012.
Nicolle’s extensive knowledge of the period had images of live entertainment, dancing and the social culture of the period indelibly set in her mind. Intended to emulate the floorshows of the 1930s and 1940s, The Bally Hoo came to life after extensive and tireless auditions to find the perfect performers, in depth discussions regarding the perfect setting for the show, hours of work alongside band leader and arranger Andy Schumm, and, of course, timing is everything.
Since it’s triumphant run at Untitled, The Bally Hoo! has been performed throughout the Chicagoland area for private and public events alike, and has always been received with wild applause by guests everywhere.
Some inspiration for the original production:
What we provide: The Bally Hoo! in its entirety is a 90 minute long floor show with performances by The Galaxie Girls, a dashing host, engaging male and female vocalists, variete performances that include Burlesque and Fan Dancers, and one smokin’ hot band- The Fat Babies.
In addition to these visual and auditory treats, guests are invited to sit for dinner or cocktails, get up and dance, and generally enjoy the experience of an evening of classic entertainment.
Get Ready for a Bally Hoo! from Sally Films on Vimeo.
Learning to dance in private sessions can be one of the most rewarding endeavors of your life! Private lessons allow you to focus on your specific needs and dance to your favorite music in addition to accelerating your learning and understanding of a variety of dance forms in ways that group classes cannot offer.
Private lessons available at our location or yours*
- 1 person $75*
- 2 people $75*
- 4-6 people $40 per person for a 2 hour class*
- 7-10 people $35 per person for a 2 hour class (2 instructors will be present)*
*additional fees apply to home/outside studio visits
Group privates, pairs or solo…they all have their charm
We offer solo, couple and small group privates and specialize in early American social forms including:
Swing ~Lindy Hop~Balboa~Blues~Collegiate Shag~1940s Charleston~1920s Solo and Partner Charleston~Aerials~Choreography
… and we go BIG!
About the event: A recent event that was produced for Mardi Gras at Carnivale as part of their roll out for more evening culture based events. The goal: to light up every corner of the room with colorful and energetic entertainment, matching the color and vibrations of Carnivale (the restaurant AND the holiday).
What we provided: We hired a talented and elegant collection of dancers, The Teasers from the Original Tease, and spent 4 weeks training with a renown Samba coach to make sure the ladies were spot on in their movement and grace. We sourced beautifully styled authentic Samba costumes from a local designer, and used the entire 8000 sq ft space as our stage.
The answer to the question of dance music AND live performance came by way of bringing in a drummer and a trumpet player able to improvise seamlessly to the most energetic contemporary dance music, and set them to rotate between 5 different areas of the room.
2 of Chicago’s most mesmerizing aerialists alternated sets, culminating in a Aerial pas de deux, high above the guest’s heads.
Partnering with Redmoon Theatre, we were able to create a collection of featured servers including “table ladies” poised elegantly within the flow of the guests, and the Wa Wa gals, donning a Carmen Miranda headdress, a noir bird’s nest chapeau, and marching band ‘after midnight’ inspired costumes.
A simultaneous performance by 4 of Chicago’s most sought after Burlesque performers rounded out the lusty and decadent feel of the night beautifully.
What’s your mood?
We’ve got a band for that!
One of the hardest things of planning for any occasion is finding the right music to create and maintain the energy and mood you want. Don’t get stuck with a band that isn’t the right fit! We’ve got a list of the best professionals featuring the top talent selected from across the nation. Read more
They say that a pretty girl is like a melody.
Well, in that case we have songs being written all over the place.
The Galaxie Girls celebrate the opening of The Great Gatsby at Untitled for the official Chicago release party
Dancers have the power to spike the energy in any room, on any stage for any crowd. Read more
Sexy, bawdy, cheeky, daring, dashing, poppy and mesmerizing.
We have all of that and more!
Since the days of Vaudeville Cabaret, novelty acts have left lasting impressions with audiences whether in featured roles or as ambient or vignette acts. Read more
Venues and Travel:
Chicago Spring Balboa Weekend with Mikey Fortanasce and Kelly Arsenault, Saturday and Sunday April 26 and 27, Dance Center Chicago, 3868 N Lincoln Ave, 2nd Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60613
Friday evening dance at Forteza Fitness Friday April 25th 8pm-12am. 4437 N Ravenswood Ave, Chicago IL 60640
Friday Late Night Dance at Lillstreet Loft Friday April 25, 12am-4am. up the stairs to the right . 4437 N Ravenswood Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
Saturday afternoon dance at Daley Plaza: Saturday April 25th, 1-3pm. 50 W. Washington, Chicago IL 60602
Saturday evening dance at South Shore Cultural Center: Saturday April 25th, 8pm-11:30pm. 7059 S. South Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60649
Saturday Late Night Dance at Lillstreet Loft Saturday April 26, 12am-5am. up the stairs to the right . 4437 N Ravenswood Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
Sunday Brunch at Scarfuri Bakery Sunday April 27th 10:30 am- 1:30 pm. 1337 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60607
Sunday Bally Hoo! at the Chicago Cultural Center Sunday April 27th 2pm-4pm. 78 E Washington St, Chicago, IL 60602
Sunday night at Honky Tonk BBQ Sunday April 27 8pm-11pm 1800 S Racine Ave, Chicago, IL 60608